The Centre for Environmental Law and Community Rights (CELCOR) Inc. is a not for profit, public interest law and advocacy Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) with special focus on awareness raising, policy development, legal support and capacity building for communities affected by logging, mining, oil palm, extractive industries and marine development areas, to have their voices heard appropriately. The organization aims to provide legal advice and assistance to landowners, Community Based Organizations (CBOs), and NGOs involved in community-based natural resource management, environmental policy research and development, environmental litigation, lobbying and capacity building of Lawyers and Campaigners.
The organization was established in February 2000 and is registered with the Investment Promotion Authority (IPA) of Papua New Guinea. It is governed by a Board of Directors and currently has 11 full-time staff members. CELCOR has only one office located in Port Moresby.
The Birth of CELCOR
The organization was established in February 2000 and is registered with the Investment Promotion Authority (IPA) of Papua New Guinea.
CELCOR joins FOEI
CELCOR joins the Friends of the Earth International Federation and recognized as Friends of the Earth Papua New Guinea.
Campaign Against Land Grabbing
CELCOR in collaboration with likeminded civil society environmental organizations and research institutes drives Campaign against Land Grabbing through Special Agriculture Business Leases and its impacts on the environment and indigenous people’s rights which lead to the Commission of Enquiry in 2011.
Kiunga Aiambak Case Decision
- CELCOR participates in the Commission of Enquiry into the Special Agriculture and Busines Leases in PNG.
- Kiunga Aiambak Case Decision: Court Rules in favor of CELCORs Clients.- CELCOR holds 1st Annual General Meeting.
Collaboration with American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
CELCOR in Collaboration with American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative and Live and Learn PNG, Produces Human Rights Manual on Community Level Assessment on the Impacts of Mining.
Community Legal Education Toolkits
CELCOR Launches Community Legal Education Toolkits; - Trainers Manual - Participants Handbook.
Environmental Defenders Office MOU
Environmental Defenders Office and CELCOR formally recognize partnership through an MoU.
'No Coal In PNG' Campaign Launching
- On the 19th of November 2018, CELCOR launched its ‘No Coal’ Campaign in Port Moresby. CELCORs ‘No Coal Campaign’ is aimed at bringing to the forefront the fact that Coal mining is dirty energy and is highly detrimental to the environment and our communities rather than being of benefit to our nation.
- Pomio Case Decision: Court Rules in favor of CELCORs Clients.
Launching of the Land Grab Publication
Launching of the Land Grab Publication compiled in collaboration with Friends of the Earth Asia Pacific Regional Partner Member Groups: Publication Titled: The Laws of Land Grabs in the Asia Pacific Legislative Linkages to Land Grabbing activities in Papua New Guinea Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Palestine.
Transparency International PNG & CELCOR established MoU
- Transparency International PNG and CELCOR establish a MoU to collaborate to promote good environment and natural resource governance.
- Launching of the Coal Report Compiled in collaboration with multinational campaign Group, NOGAT COAL IN PNG CAMPAIGN; Report tittled: THE COAL AGENDA: Mayur Resources and the Push to Start a Coal Industry in PNG